Written by Gregory Monte.
The Soup Nazi vs. the Traffic Ticket Nazi
According to an article that was published by the Independent in 2018 …
“Traffic police in China are to begin using facial-recognition technology to identify jaywalkers and automatically issue them fines by text.”
This got me thinking about some of the negative feedback I have received on Facebook from a group of individuals who I call Traffic Ticket Nazis.
Why do I call them this?
If you are familiar with Seinfeld’s character pictured above, you will understand that he …
“… is known as the “Soup Nazi” due to his temperament and insistence on a strict manner of behavior while placing an order. At the soup stand, George complains about not receiving bread with his meal. When he presses the issue, Kassem decrees ‘No soup for you!’ George’s order is quickly taken away and his money returned.”
Similarly, the Traffic Ticket Nazis are individuals who believe that tickets should be strictly issued to all motorists for every minor traffic infraction.
- 1 mph over the limit? Ticket.
- Roll through a stop sign when no one is within 200 feet of the intersection? Ticket.
- Air freshener “obstructing” the front window? Ticket.
Comments from the Traffic Ticket Nazis
Take a look at some of their reactions to my blog posts and you will, perhaps, understand why I call them “Nazis.”
- “John Thomas Here’s an idea numb nuts, just obey the law. You’re an idiot dude. We have laws for a reason.”
- “David Smith Best defense ever? Come to a full stop bonehead!! Tired of dodging your stupid antics!”
- “Bill Wereb Why don’t you just stop? Diptard”
- “Michael Mitchell Here’s the two that will get you out of a speeding ticket: 1. don’t speed, 2. read # 1”
- “Dwayne Simmons how to beat a ticket…. don’t speed.”
- “Nathan Luszcz Or you could take responsibility for doing something you shouldn’t have. You know, be an adult about it. *gasp*”
- “Patrick Gentry How about you just stop at stop signs then you won’t get a ticket.”
- “Jerry Finnegan“Traffic tickets are issued because people violate the rules of the road. The rules of the road are set to protect the users of public roads.”
- “DennisWilma You do the crime you do the time!”
- “Walter Schwartz If you get a ticket you probably deserve it pay it and don’t drive like an idiot.”
Traffic Ticket Nirvana
Clearly, China has the traffic ticket game down to a science. I hear that before you have even reached the far curb while jaywalking, a text message lets you know that your bank account has been debited for the traffic fine. With GPS technology, I would imagine that the authorities could also instantaneously fine you for speeding.
I wonder if the Traffic Ticket Nazi types would be willing to support a similar set up in the United States … is it possible that authoritarian China is their nirvana?
Nirvana, noun: “a goal hoped for but apparently unattainable”
Nirvana, noun: “an ideal or idyllic place.”
I sure as hell don’t want to live in that kind of society.